Pages - Menu

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Perspective.

Today's prompt is to write about our "lot in life" and something difficult that we are trying to overcome.  I've been thinking about this one for a few days now, because at first glance, there is really nothing for me to complain about - I had a wonderful childhood, I am thoroughly enjoying adulthood; I am healthy, my family and friends are healthy; I have a roof over my head and shoes on my feet and food in the fridge.  I have a wonderful boyfriend and fantastic, supportive, kind friends.  I have a great job and a steady social life.

After spending almost a year working with blood cancer patients, their families and friends, I can look back and say that it had brought me perspective.  Lots and lots of perspective.  The job was great; I was constantly meeting new people and learning new things.  But it was also emotionally taxing.  It was hard not to be affected by each persons story, some hopeful and promising, and others tragic and heartbreaking.  If there is one thing I learned from that job, it is to life your life to the fullest extent you can.  Cancer doesn't discriminate; it doesn't care if you're getting married, if you're having a baby, if you're starting college, if you're the healthiest person you know.  To wake up every day and say "I'm healthy" is a gift, that is for sure.

But along with that lesson came the strong desire to then live that full life, and that, I suppose, is where my difficulty lies.  Difficulty is a strong word.  I suppose it is an obstacle, an ongoing obstacle, that is a struggle everyone is having now, and that is money.

I have a steady job, with a steady income.  But, much like everyone else I know, I also have debt.  Lots of lovely student loan debt.  I'm able to pay my loans each month (for the most part) but it is a constant, looming cloud of doom, hanging over everything.  I will probably be paying off that debt for a very, very long time.  Not quite something I was hoping for.

But, again, perspective.  Outside of that, I really don't have anything to complain about.  And I have learned, many times in the past, that the universe has a way of helping you out, when you express gratitude for the things you do have, and acceptance for the things you can't change, and ask for its help in return.  So that is what I'm trying to focus on - the good, and the present - and making sure that I ask for the appropriate kind of help when needed.  And fingers crossed the Universe helps me out.  Again.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful lighthearted post. I work in medical field and today alone, I found 2 young women who will have a battle for their lives, cancer. I, too, realize every day that I am blessed and have so much to be thankful for. "There but for the grace of God go I..." Folling you via Bloglovin' Collective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara! It's easy to get caught up in the why-me's, but I do my best to keep in mind I have my health, and that's something. :) Thanks for following!

      Delete